Saturday, July 12, 2014

Teaching and Teens



As I sit hear I am listening to the dull hum of the floor fan. There are no daughters yelling at each other nor is there a demand for me to make a meal or even referee for that matter. You see it  is summer time in the Teise household. Both of my daughters are working or busy hanging out with their cousin and friends. My husband is busy working 2 jobs and fishing. So you see I am basically by myself a good portion of the time in the summer. Very little conversation.
I have decided that this is actually like teaching. You are given a room full of children, a few teaching assistants and a curriculum to follow. Once that bell rings you close your door for the bulk of the day. On occasion you come out to have your little charges get "fed" and "watered" so to speak. Then we trudge back in to continue the day's activities. Before you know it it is time to pack up and call it a day. Any type of adult conversation may just be purely with the people that you are working with in the classroom. You may go the whole week not seeing various colleagues that you work with. Which at times this seems strange. You are in the building for 180 days and you may only see each other once a week. 
Otherwise, you are basically by yourself as if you have teenagers working their summer jobs.
Can it be lonely? Absolutely! People crave conversation from others. Maybe this year make it a point to seek out one person that you are working with and chat, even if it's for only a few minutes. It does the soul good.
Well I hear my teens coming home even now as I type.....I'm off to make dinner and have some adult conversation. Did I tell you that my oldest is now officially an adult as of yesterday? :)

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I absolutely LOVE the silence...I guess that might come with being an only child. Other times I can't stand to be myself. I go a little stir crazy. I try to find a really good balance. I hope you are having a great summer though so far, Debbie! Xo
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete